Newcomer Settlement Services

The objective of Newcomer Settlement Services (NSS) is to assist immigrants in settling and integrating into Canadian society. It includes the delivery of direct services to immigrants such as orientation, translation, interpretation, referral to community resources, para-professional counselling, and general information.


Persons who are eligible for NSS services:

  • Primarily permanent residents of Canada who hold the Permanent Resident Card (also referred to as Maple Card or Maple Leaf Card), or the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
  • Government-Assisted Refugees (GARs) after their first year under the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) has elapsed
  • Any individuals who have been allowed to remain in Canada and who will be granted permanent resident status (including a Temporary Resident Permit holder or a person who has received special permission to remain in Canada for the purpose of becoming a permanent resident)
  • Non-immigrant foreign domestic workers in Canada who may subsequently apply for permanent resident status from within Canada, under the terms of the Live-In Caregiver Program (the former Foreign Domestic Movement Program)
  • Other eligible immigrants may also qualify, regardless of how long they have been in Canada, as long as they have not yet acquired Canadian citizenship. They may still need help in adapting to Canadian society and integrating into the community.
  • Temporary visa holders (work permit, student permit, and visitor visa) are also served if services are requested

Persons who are not eligible for NSS services:

  • Canadian citizens. For persons who just became Canadian citizens and still request our assistance we allow a transition period.

Services offered

Immigration / travel

An NSS settlement worker can assist eligible persons with the following:

  • Obtaining information on immigration status
  • Applying to obtain, change conditions or extend an immigration visa as a worker, a student or a visitor
  • Applying for permanent residence through Federal and Provincial programs
  • Arranging appointments with immigration officers (for permanent residents entitled to be processed at the local immigration office)
  • Permanent resident card replacement or renewal
  • Refund request for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
  • Correction of misinformation on immigration documents
  • Dealing with Collections Services (we help refugee clients who wish to change their installments for immigration loans after their RAP year has elapsed)
  • Family reunification applications for refugee families (during or after the RAP year)
  • Spousal sponsorship
  • Application for citizenship
  • Passport, travel documents and entry visas applications
  • Writing letters of invitation for family members abroad who wish to visit Canada
  • Change of address

Taxes and tax benefits

We can help eligible persons by:

  • Contacting Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on behalf of clients who didn't receive or have questions regarding their Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) or GST/HST credit
  • Providing general information on taxes
  • Providing information on the Canada Learning Bond Grant that allows savings for child education
  • Helping to notify CRA for their change of address
  • Helping to set up payment via direct deposit instead of cheques
  • Arranging appointments for clients with low incomes at the volunteer tax clinic

Assistance with health and medical services

The NSS settlement workers help eligible persons in dealing with the Department of Health, hospitals, Public Health and other medical services. These services include:

  • Arranging medical and professional appointments with dentists, physicians, clinics, or the hospital
  • Arranging interpreters for medical appointments upon the client's request
  • Help with health card replacement or correction of misspells of the name on card
  • Help with applying for the Family Health Benefit Drug Program (medication coverage for those with low incomes)
  • Help with applying for the dental program for children (children up to 17 years of age), and renewing the 20% exemption card
  • Placing clients' names on the Provincial Physician Registry list if not requested during the intake
  • Assisting clients in getting refunds on medical bills when they are entitled to coverage (in and out of Province)
  • Referring pregnant clients to a designated doctor at the Polyclinic who takes on newcomers
  • Referring clients to Richmond Centre or other mental health centres

Assistance with social services / child and family services

This group of NSS services includes:

  • Acting as a liaison between a client and the social worker for any concern related to the client's settlement needs
  • Contacting social services to obtain pre-approval for coverage of vision centre, dentist, etc.
  • Facilitating meetings between clients with social workers
  • Contacting social workers on behalf of clients who didn't receive their monthly cheques
  • Referring clients to the Child Care Subsidy program to cover daycare services
  • Updating social services on clients' family status for the family housing applications

Other services

Settlement workers within the NSS also:

  • Respond to email information requests received through the website
  • Coordinate the translation of drivers' licence
  • Refer clients to Access PEI and, when needed, arrange an appointment for a driving test
  • Search for daycare facilities for clients' children (kindergarten and school children from Grade 1 on are served by the Youth Settlement Services program)
  • Act as mediators between clients and their landlords
Guide for Newcomers: Important Canadian Documents
Guide for Newcomers: Money and Finances
Guide for Newcomers: Health

Program Team

Rosalie Blanchard

Rosalie Blanchard
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 207

Alex Yin

Alex Yin
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 228

Elina Lialiuk

Elina Lialiuk
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 215

Jinyoung Shin

Jinyoung Shin
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 205

Larysa Petruk

Larysa Petruk
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 260

Nicole Cuiying  Li

Nicole Cuiying Li
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 206

Octavio Medina

Octavio Medina
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 261

Reem Alkhoury-Sicoe

Reem Alkhoury-Sicoe
Settlement Worker

(902) 628-6009 ext. 211


Immigrating to Canada?

Free online tools, resources and courses designed to help you find a job in your field in Canada